- Alexander Bursztein
Alex has served as the program’s Executive Director since 1985. During his tenure, the Legal Aid Society expanded its staff from four to twenty and its funding from a quarter to more than two million dollars. During his twenty-six years at the Legal Aid Society, Alex has represented thousands of clients in housing (his area of expertise) and public entitlements cases.
- JD – University of Michigan Law School (1977)
- BA, Psychology from Wayne State University in Detroit
- New York State Bar Association
- Rockland County Bar Association
- Harvey A. Eilbaum, Deputy Director
Harvey represents children in Family Court in Juvenile Delinquency, PINS (children in need of supervision), abuse and neglect, Family Treatment Court, custody and visitation, family offense and guardianship cases. He meets with children to ascertain their preferences, voice those preferences in court and tries to obtain an outcome consistent with their desires. In juvenile delinquency and PINS cases, he counsels children regarding their rights and strives to reach an outcome that they desire.
- JD – Delaware Law School (admitted to NY in 1976)
- BA, History – SUNY Fredonia, New York
- Permanent teaching Certification – secondary school social studies
- Rockland County
- New York
- Diana Grecequet, Paralegal
- Helena Phillibert, Staff Attorney
- JD – New York University (2008)
- AB, Politics – Princeton University (2003)
- New York
- Jacqueline Sands, Staff Attorney
Jackie has been with the Children’s’ Rights Unit since 1990.
- JD – Columbia Law School
- New York
- Lauren Steil, Social Worker
Lauren is a member of an interdisciplinary team who is dedicated to advocating for children and adolescents involved in Family Court.
- Licensed Master Level Social Worker – New York State
- MSW, Social Work – Boston College
- BA, Psychology – Seton Hall University
- Christopher T. Widholm, Staff Attorney
Chris represents children in abuse, neglect, custody, delinquency, PINS Family Offense, and termination of parental rights proceedings.
- JD – SUNY Buffalo Law School, 1995
- BA, Political Science – George Washington University, 1990
- New York
- Recipient of Distinguished Service Award from Rockland County
- Certificate of Merit from the Town of Ramapo
- Certificate of Merit from the Town Clarkstown
- Veronica J. Young, Staff Attorney
- JD – Boston University
- New York
- Jack Vega, Legal Advocate
Jack represents individuals at Administrative Law Hearings who have been denied Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income Benefits (SSD/SSI). Jack also assists low and moderate income individuals who have legal issues with the Social Security Administration.
- JD – University of Connecticut School of Law
- BA, History – Fordham University
- Mary Wallace, Legal Advocate
Mary represents low income individuals and families who are impacted by determinations of the Department of Social Services reducing, eliminating or otherwise adversely affecting their benefits or potential benefits. She also represents those who have lost their employment and are being challenged by former employers or the Department of Labor about their rights to receive Unemployment Insurance Benefits.
- JD – New York Law School, 1981
- BA – Marymount College, Tarrytown, NY, 1969
- Elected Trustee, Nyack School Board 1994- 2000
- Volunteer, United States Peace Corps, 1969-1971
- Derek S. Tarson, Foreclosure Project Director
Derek represents mortgage loan borrowers who are facing foreclosure, helping them to find ways to save their homes through loan modifications, legal defenses to foreclosure, and bankruptcy. He also represents consumers facing wage executions or garnishments to help them avoid the challenges of seemingly insurmountable debt. Prior to joining the Legal Aid Society of Rockland County, Inc. in 2010, Derek was a litigation associate at Debevoise & Plimpton, LLP.
- JD – Rutgers University School of Law, Newark, NJ, 2004
- BA, Mathematics – Colby College, Waterville, Maine, 1984
- New York
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy
- Anastasia Goldin, Staff Attorney
- Jacqueline Grannum, Foreclosure Paralegal
Jacqueline provides administrative support to staff attorneys in the Civil Division; her duties include preparing documents, filing papers at court and maintaining files.
- MS, Organizational Leadership – Nyack College, 2006
- BS, Organizational Management – Nyack College, 2004
- Susan Mills Richmond, Staff Attorney
Susan represents clients who have HIV/AIDS in various kinds of legal representation, including eviction avoidance and housing rights, disability and social security benefits, public benefits and entitlement law, foreclosure defense, preparation of health care proxies, living wills and powers of attorney, and legal matters involving health, life and disability insurance.
Susan also represents clients in the general population who are facing eviction. Prior to joining the Legal Aid Society of Rockland County, Inc. in 2016, among other things, Susan was in house Senior Counsel at ADP/ CDK Inc., had her own practice in Rockland County, was Senior Staff Attorney at Lexow, Berbit & Associates, was associated with Kaye, Scholer and Stroock & Stroock & Lavan, and clerked for a Bankiruptcy Judge.
- JD With Distinction, Hofstra University School of Law, Managing Editor of the Hofstra Law Review
- BA, Political Science and Spanish, SUNY at Stony Brook
- New York, SDNY, EDNY, U.S. Supreme Court
Related Legal Experience:
- Certified as Impartial Hearing Officer, NY State Department of Education; Arbitrator and Mediator for American Arbitration Association, FINRA, and other groups.
- Norma Nieves, Legal Assistant
Norma provides assistance to staff attorneys in the Civil and the Children’s Rights Division; her duties include preparing documents, client intake, filing papers and maintaining client files.
- BA – State University of New York – College at Purchase, 1983
- Angela G. McSweeney, Staff Attorney
Angela represents women referred by the Rockland County Women’s Shelter who are victims of domestic violence and are seeking to file for divorce.
- JD – Newark School of Law, Rutgers University, 2001
- BA, Political Science – Rutgers University, 1993
- Certificate Paralegal Studies – Fairleigh Dickerson University, 1993
- New York
- Susan Amenta, Accountant and Grant Administrator
- BA – Manhattanville College
- Alisa Cahn, Controller
- BS, Business & Economics – Lehigh University
- Certified Public Accountant
- Chartered Global Management Accountant
- Laraine Marra, Office Manager
Laraine has been with the Legal Aid Society for 25 years. Over the years Laraine has been a secretary, Office Manager, and the Paralegal for the Children’s Rights Division.