Legal Aid Society of Rockland County

Legal Aid to Receive State Grant

The following article appeared Feb 14, 2008 on the website.

State Senator Thomas Morahan (R-New City), Assemblywoman Ellen Jaffee (D-Suffern), and Assemblyman Kenneth Zebrowski (D-New City) announced today that Legal Services of the Hudson Valley and the Legal Aid Society of Rockland County have been awarded $145,725, aggregately, through the RFP process instituted by the New York State Office of Court Administration. The award is part of $3 million of new funding secured in 2007 for civil legal services.

Legal Services of the Hudson Valley, a non-profit agency providing civil legal assistance to low-income individuals and families, contracts with the Legal Aid Society of Rockland County to provide these services to Rockland County families.

“The infusion of state funding will have a beneficial impact on those who cannot otherwise obtain representation in civil legal matters. Assemblymembers Jaffee, Zebrowski, and I support programs that ensure community access to legal counsel; that foster an environment in which every person is treated with dignity, equality, and fairness,” said Senator Morahan.

“The services provided by Legal Services of the Hudson Valley and the Legal Aid Society of Rockland County are an invaluable asset to our community,” said Assemblywoman Jaffee. “To know that high-quality legal services are available when economically vulnerable members of our community are facing homelessness or domestic violence is a tremendous comfort, and I’m grateful to these organizations and their employees for providing this remarkable service.”

“I’m pleased to hear that this funding has come to Rockland,” said Assemblyman Zebrowski. “This is good news for our community. Legal Services of the Hudson Valley and Legal Aid of Rockland County bridge the gap between people who can and cannot afford legal representation and ensure the fairness of our legal system.”

To find out more about the Legal Aid Society and how you can support their work, call (845) 634-3627, or visit their website at